Happy Friday!! The weekend is finally here.
I just received this directive from the Veterans Health Administration today. They have updated the reimbursement rates for Automobile Adaptive Equipment. As a reminder (If you want you can always look at my previous blog. Just click on the link of the right for the Automobile Grant.) to qualify for Automobile Adaptive Equipment a veteran has to be eligible for the Automobile Grant. If you would like more information on this issue, please don’t hesitate to ask. Below is a copy of the VHA directive.
REIMBURSABLE AMOUNT FOR AUTOMOBILE ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT
1. PURPOSE: This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive updates cost limitations for standard items of automobile adaptive equipment to reflect current prices.
2. BACKGROUND: The basic authority to provide automobile adaptive equipment is found in Title 38 United States Code (U.S.C.) Chapter 39 and implementing regulations in Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 17.155-17.159. This directive reflects new cost limitations not to exceed the allowable reimbursable amounts for certain items of automobile adaptive equipment.
3. POLICY: It is VHA policy that the following rates (see subpar. 4c) are the current allowable amounts for certain automobile adaptive equipment.
a. Subject to the following limitation, reimbursable amounts are to be the sticker price. If for some reason the window sticker is not available, an itemized factory dealer invoice may be used to substantiate the purchase of the vehicle and the items of automobile adaptive equipment purchased.
b. If the sticker price is available, the amount payable may be more or less than the “standard equipment reimbursable amount,” but must not exceed the “maximum sticker reimbursable amount.”
c. The following reimbursable amounts are effective with claims processed after May 31, 2011.
Standard Equipment Maximum Sticker
Items Reimbursable Amount Reimbursable Amount
Automatic Transmission $709 $1363
Power Brakes $387 $846
Power Steering $0* $290
Power Seat $242 $708
Power Windows $400 $521
Tilt Steering $237 $320
Cruise Control $187 $220
Rear Window Defroster $125 $179
Air Conditioning $685 $920
Power Door Locks $220 $288
*Power Steering is a standard item which is included in the total retail price when purchasing a vehicle; therefore a standard reimbursable amount is not listed for vehicles purchased after this VHA Directive is in effect.
THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES DECEMBER 31, 2016
In-Vehicle Emergency Response
System $149 $259
Leather Seats $330 $1110
NOTE: For more information regarding the Automobile Adaptive Equipment program, including funding, forms or process, please see VHA Handbook 1173.4, Automobile Adaptive Equipment Program.
d. Amounts authorized for reimbursement for new vehicles are to reflect the VHA Directive in effect at the time of purchase. NOTE: See Att. A for the reimbursable amounts for automobile adaptive equipment from May 30, 2006 until May 31, 2011, as it is necessary for the processing of late claims involving new vehicles from previous model years.
a. Title 38 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 17.158(b).
b. VHA Handbook 1173.4, Automobile Adaptive Equipment.
6. FOLLOW-UP RESPONSIBILITY: The Chief Consultant, Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service (10P4K) is responsible for the contents of this Directive. Questions may be directed to (202) 461-1800.
7. RESCISSION: VHA Directive 2006-034, dated May 30, 2006 is rescinded. This VHA Directive expires December 31, 2016.
Robert A. Petzel, M.D.
Under Secretary for Health